Tacos have been a fun adventure food for us since we moved to California…we’ve dabbled a little with fish tacos, traditional beef and chicken tacos…every time we attempt a new ingredient and see what works best. We may just have stumbled upon our favorite of the bunch…Coconut Curry chicken tacos with quinoa, cherry tomatoes, fresh sliced avocado and salsa verde on Mission brand Corn and Whole Wheat tortilla…pretty long winded but long on taste too!
Coconut Curry Chicken Tacos
Serves 4 – Prep Time 40 Minutes, Cook Time 15 Minutes
2 chicken breasts and 2 chicken tenders (we use the package from Costco)
Cayenne Pepper Seasoning
1 Large Avocado
Handful of Cherry Tomatoes
Mission Corn & Whole Wheat Blend tortillas
Quinoa (brand does not matter here, but we used plain)
Herdez Verde Salsa (or your favorite brand)
Mexican Shredded Cheese
- Slice chicken breasts into smaller pieces, about the same size as the tenders in the package. You’ll get about 8-10 strips from this.
- Take 2 Tablespoons of Coconut Oil and coat the chicken. Add Curry Powder and Cayenne Pepper seasoning to taste preference. Both are bold flavors, keep this in mind. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Prepare quinoa based on package instructions. We made 1/2 cup of quinoa for this. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Slice cherry tomatoes into quarters and avocados into square chunks.
- Heat grill to “High” and place chicken directly on heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, allowing the chicken to get a good sear on it. Remove chicken and cover with aluminum foil for 5 minutes. Chop chicken into thin small pieces
- Heat tortillas on a griddle. Each side should start to bubble slightly, but don’t leave long enough to crisp. Once both sides have been warmed, add shredded cheese to melt on the tortilla. (Trust us on this one).
- Assemble! Tortilla, Quinoa, Chicken, Avocado, Tomato, Verde Salsa.
Enjoy and let us know if you have any other ideas for taco recipes.
Cheers, Ben and Nikki